Friday, September 5, 2008

Trust is not a 4 letter word, it's 5.


We trust people all the time in odd situations. I just left my bag in a coffee shop, and said to the stranger sitting next to me.

Me - "Will you watch my stuff for a moment?"
Her - "Sure thing."
5 minutes later
Me - "Thanks. And hey all my stuff is still here."
Her - "Yes, and all your stuff is still here."

The tone in her voice said to me that she didn't quite catch the sarcasm in my voice. Of course my stuff was still there. That's because the chances of finding that one stranger who is actually going to grab your bag and run as soon as you enter the restroom is about the same as winning the lottery.

We trust people like this in the airport, because we believe anyone who has gotten through security must there for be trust worthy. Or that no one in OUR coffee shop or neighborhood would do such a thing. But then we go to work and most of us aren't trusted to enter certain buildings, see all the files or have keys to the office.

Why don't we trust our employees more?
If you don't trust them enough, why did you hire them?

No comments: