Thursday, April 24, 2008

Change is the only constant...

He speaks yet I do not hear.
What I hear he does not speak.
The message is wrong.
He's insincere.
He sounds just like her.

She rambles on my voice mail.
She sends empty essays to my inbox.
The message is wrong.
She's insincere.
Her words, to me, are stale.

Everyday I hear these cheers.
Everyday I am disappointed.
The message is wrong.
They're insincere.
They've been saying the same for years.

Someday I will believe again.
Someday I will have faith.
A message that's true.
A message, sincere.
Someone with visions of change.

-Timuri

I wrote this piece back in February of 2003 while I was sitting in a "very important" meeting at Xerox. The words being spoken just were not penetrating my head, mainly because they were the same words I had heard at every other "important" meeting for years.

What happened to the people who wanted to make a difference? When I was hired with the company we watched videos about the visionaries that started it all off. The desire to create new and useful technology that would alter the business world. I spent the next few years being told not to rock the boat. Quit trying to change the business. Why? Isn't that what made us a great company in the beginning?

I worked at it for close to a decade and realized that I was fighting a war from the wrong side. The change I wanted to see happen was possible, but I needed to be in a different position to accomplish it. There is a great line from Utah Phillips, in his piece "Korea" he says, "I realized right then, that it was all wrong. That it all had to change. And that change had to start with me." So here I am, now armed with ideas and concepts that can and will change the businesses and people they touch.

Revolution destroys what is. I am not interested in this. But I am a fan of evolution, of embracing the changes that are happening around us. The challenge before me now, is finding those visionaries that want to see their businesses and people change in this way.

No comments: