Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Finding the balance.

At the park near my house, there is one sideways-slanted-doughnut-like-fixture that can spin in a circle. My partner and kids will gleefully jump on the edge and balance themselves precariously as it spins, sometimes adding to this display by walking around as it twirls beneath their feet. I usually refuse to join them. For them it's an adrenaline rush, some sort of fun experience. For me, it's another place I need to practice my balance. Between being a business owner, Executive Director of Boulder Pride, mother, partner, and plain old human being, I sometimes feel overwhelmed by the many priorities that I wake up to each day. There are the usual tricks and tips people offer you, make plans, set priorities, cut down on your activities and they are all good advice. But when it really hits me, after I eat significant amounts of chocolate, I focus on what's really important. I am not here to be busy, I am here to enjoy my life. And letting myself get overwhelmed simply takes my focus from accomplishing my tasks to feeling badly.

So next time we go to the park, I'll join them in the spinning.

No comments: