Friday, June 20, 2008

Layoffs & Limp Logic


I'm trying to figure out where the logic is when companies make their layoff decisions. It seems companies cut a swath through the HR and training divisions early in the cutting. Aren't these the people they hired to help the rest of their employees feel better, work better and stay with the company? These are the people that have a personal desire to see your people be better at what they do, it's part of their make-up. So why get rid of them? Isn't that like cutting off the proverbial nose?

I understand the bottom-line logic. HR & Training produces no revenue. But neither does a dis-satisfied employee. I'm betting that those people working in the company that just saw their friends "let go" are not happy people. They are taking the newly released out for drinks and sitting around complaining about the company. Is that the kind of energy they want to foster?

I'm just trying to get my head fully around the idea so I can unravel it. With layoffs come change, instability, new responsibility and confusion. Wouldn't you want to have the best team you could, on hand, to make sure you can keep the remaining talent you have left? I know I would.

1 comment:

Richard Jennings said...

layoffs, gas prices...oy vie. I have only found good jobs on a few sites lately:

http://www.realmatch.com
http://www.simplyhired.com
http://www.craigslist.com

Lots of employers & recruiters are abandoning the "pay to post a job" model in favor of these free employment sites. So I dont see lots of jobs on the same sites that were popular 5 years ago.