Thursday, March 12, 2009

Murphy Who?

There's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over ~~ Meskimen's Law
For the holidays my father sent me a calendar full of Murphy's laws and I have to admit, it tickles me each morning to pull off the sheet and see what new bit of "wisdom" will confront me. The chuckle I greet most of them with is often accompanied by the thought that they are funny because they are true. 
Working the in the For Impact community (or the start-up business community) funding is often a key issue. Frequently we find ourselves making tough decisions about resource allocation. And often, taking the time to plan our work and implement it effectively gets a lower priority than doing our work. Which often costs us more time (and money) in the long run.
So I offer these tips:
  • Take your time. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well. 
  • Do less. It's better to do 3 things well than 8 things poorly.
  • Stop reading your email. Spend no more than 45 minutes per day on your email. There is very little as important as the ability to instantly communicate about it makes it feel. 
  • Reward yourself with ice cream (I recommend Glacier or Bliss). 
  • Take a walk in the afternoon to perk yourself up. The post lunch lull is a great time for errors to creep into your work world.
Send me your favorite errors!! 

No comments: