Saturday, March 28, 2009

How do you do it? A guide to being overcommitted!

So, I have a partner, kids, a day job, a business with my partner, friends, hobbies, and I volunteer for three organizations in the community. Writing it out makes it sound a little crazy, but mostly I love my life! People often ask, "how do you do it"? Here are some things that have worked for me!


1. I don't do everything well
No one can. But my biggest failure is not being prompt on returning calls and emails (sometimes losing track of correspondence all together). I don't strive for perfection on everything I do, anymore. Sometimes it's more important to get the job done, than give it 110%.


2. I am highly scheduled
My days are often broken out into tasks I expect to accomplish. I spend a lot of front end time planning and scheduling myself.


3. I rarely multi-task
Time and again studies have shown that people who multi-task are far less effective than those who simply focus on one activity at a time.


4. I set priorities
I do what needs to be done first. And my priorities reflect my values. So my children come first. Every time. It gives me a clear sense of perspective that balances out item #1. If I can't do it all well, I need to be sure I give my best to the most important things!


5. I take time off
Work hard. Play harder. I love to hike, camp, travel, sew, knit, dance, and so on. And I do all these things. If I have a huge event, I turn my phone off for a few days afterwards. I don't work when I am sick, unless it is a true emergency (of which there are far fewer than you might think). I don't check my email on my days off.


6. I am passionate about what I do
I truly believe the work I do makes a difference in people's lives. Both my day job, a for impact community center, and my work with A Simple Twist are less about what I do than why I do it. I am here because I have an incredible passion for the work we are doing. I have seen the impact this work has. And those moments of validation are beyond inspiring when it feels like there is too much to do and too little time to do it in!

No comments: