Friday, April 3, 2009

Service Comparison: HP vs. Dr. Jaime White DDS

So Hewlett-Packard is a corporate behemoth. Billion dollar company with vast resources and a global perspective on how things should be done.

The dental office of Dr Jaime White DDS is a local small town office who takes care of people's teeth and gums. They see a lot of kids and old people, cause honestly, that's who goes to the dentist most. Kids are made to go by their parents, and when you get older and your teeth are falling out, we all decide that perhaps we should go see the dentist again.

Let's look at HP to start. I go online and order a power cable for my daughter's laptop which has failed to work. I match the wattage on the "brick" to make my selection and they send me a power cord. When it arrives it is the wrong fitting and is useless. I call them to arrange an exchange for the correct model and I spend the next 4 HOURS being passed from person to person, department to department. I have to demand to speak to a supervisor so they don't make me pay for return shipping or any extra fees. I just want t right cable for my daughters computer. At the end I have my problem solved, but am unhappy, feel like my time was wasted and am fully aware that HP cares very little for my existence. I can easily call another computer company the next time I am in need of technology and I will.

In the dentist's office there are sodas and smiles. There is an elderly gentleman sitting in the waiting room when we arrive. We are filing out the paperwork required of us when the woman behind the counter comes out from behind it and said to the gentleman, "I am sorry for the delay, we had a bit of a scheduling overlap and it's taken a bit longer for us to get you in. We know you've been waiting 20-30 minutes longer than you expected, here's some movie tickets for you & your wife. We don't want to waste your time and we value you."

It took $20 and 5 minutes of their time to secure a customer and gain the loyalty of just about everyone sitting in that waiting room. Everyone looked around at each other amazed at the level of service. Existing customers smiled and felt re-connected to having chosen the right place. Us new clients were floored, which just told me how rare it is to see that level of service.

I want to see more of that. I no longer want to settle for poor or moderate service. I am going to do my best to give my business, all of it, to those companies who put out the effort to really take good care of their people. I think we all should.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Allow me to introduce you to Clayton. He has generously posted the thematic variations of each evening of SEAF for our costuming coordination and pleasure as conceived by Crushed Velvet. I don't know if I'll have the stamina for all three nights, but the idea of that much costuming fun might just do the trick.
salt lake city dentist